There are many benefits of being active with type 2 diabetes, including:
- Helping to managing your blood pressure. High blood pressure increases your risk of diabetes complications
- Improving your circulation
- Improving cholesterol levels to help protect against problems like heart disease
- Lowering the risk of nerve damage
- Helping to maintain muscle mass, strength, power, and balance, which can improve physical function and independence
- Helping your joints and flexibility
- Preventing osteoporosis and risk of falls
- Assisting with weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight
Physical activity benefits your mind as well as your body. It is proven to reduce stress levels and improve low mood, and give you energy and help you sleep better, as well as improving your memory.
There isn’t one type of activity that’s best for everyone with diabetes. It can take a variety of forms because physical activity is multidimensional. It’s about finding what works for you as an individual.